Recently I had money garnished from my bank account. I filed a claim of exemption. The claim was denied because it was not ..

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

not filed within 10 days the bank was served
I told them
I was never served
I'm on disability
I didn't know there was a lawsuit until Oct 15th when I went to the court house to get legal aid they could not aid me because my case is a "civil case" not "small claims"
However they did teach me to lookup my case online

the money will be given to the plaintiff first week of november

Case is in San Francisco

Does anyone know what I can do to put a stop to this by Nov 1st?

denied to file an appeal at the courthouse because i was too late
then I try to file claim of exemption at the sheriff's office, I'm too late

Because of this case, Mom's safe deposit box has a " hold status " I'm a co signer on her box. When will the hold on the box be off ? the levy on the account is closed.

1. Edna Carroll Straus

Answered . This is not garnishment--the creditor levied on your bank account. If the only funds in the account were from disability they MAY be exempt but there are several types of disability funds.

Why were you seeking legal aid if you had no notice of the lawsuit? How did the act of "going to the courthouse" bring this to your attention?

Not only are there missing fact there is something wrong with this picture. BUT-you do need legal counsel.