Recently had granite and faucets installed two different companies. Now I have a leak from under my sink. Who is responsible?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Mcdonough, GA

One company installed the granite and I had a plumber to install the faucets because the granite company didn't do plumbing work.

Thank you all for your advice..I have contacted the plumber in question and he refuses to take responsibility for the leak under my sink which only took place after he re did the pipes under my sink. He states that he is not responsible for something that he couldn't see and I indicated to him that before he re did my pipes under my sink I did not have a leak. I am told this will be a very expensive job to repair because of where the leak is so can I sue him for the repair and the legal fees involved? Please let me know also if either of you would be willing to take this case.

1. David Jason Merbaum

4

Answered . I would venture to say that if there is a leak, it is a plumbing issue. Why not call a plumber out to look at the issue and give you an opinion as to the case. If it is a simple leak, I cannot imagine that the cost to fix would be too much and if the plumber is half way reputable, they will take care of the problem for you. I do not see any need to pay an attorney to deal with this.

2. Kevin M. Veler

2

Answered . You have indicated the leak is at the faucets. Generally that would mean that the granite installation did not damage plumbing leading to the faucets. The faucets would have been installed after the granite. If there is some "finger pointing" of blame you may need to provide additional information.

3. Thomas Richelo

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answers and would add this point: Whenever you have a project like this and you hire two parties (granite installer and plumber) separately, you always run the risk of each blaming the other for any problem or defect that arises. This is a reason why many people opt for a single source of responsibility, if you can get one. Certain kitchen remodelers and contractors will perform any and all of the tasks needed for a job like you had. Then, if there's a problem they can't point to anyone else but themselves. Going with a "turnkey" operation on this project may not have been cost effective, but it's worth considering for your next project.
    Lastly, if there's water damage you should also consider a claim against one or the other contractor's insurance. Again, the cost to fix may be less than the hassle to make a claim, but those are your legal options. Good luck.

4. Michael L. Chapman

1

Answered . I agree with both of the previous answers. This situation presents what lawyers call a "question of fact" in that it implies that the granite installation may have affected the faucet installation in some way. Did it? That is a question of fact. If the granite was fully and properly installed, and then the plumber came out and installed the faucet, then presumably the plumber should fix any leaks. Most companies offer at least a one-year warranty on materials and workmanship. If the leak is caused by a defective faucet, then other issues may be involved. Did you supply the faucet or did the plumber? If the plumber procured and installed the faucet, then presumably the plumber will either repair or replace the defective faucet. Call the plumber and report the problem. Be nice. Keep a record of your calls, e-mails or letters to plumber. If you don't get satisfaction, then one option is to sue the plumber in Magistrate Court in the county where the plumber resides or has an office. Magistrate Court has jurisdiction of disputes up to $15,000, but the filing fee may be more than the cost of fixing the problem yourself. Try to get the plumber to solve the problem, then decide whether it is worth it to go to court. Reasonable people usually can solve a problem like this without going to court. Hope this helps.