Skip to main content

Recently found out my wife only married me for papers (green card)

Key West, FL |

so october 21st of 2010 my current wife and i were married on the beach. we enjoyed ourselves for a good amount of time. ice came to our house and did a check after we went to our interview. and everything was good. two weeks later she moved out of our apartment left me hanging and moved in with her sister. i have no bills at their place in my name (thank god). however she and her sister have been threatening me that bad things will happen to me if i try to divorce her. she has still not gottan her green card. and her temporary drivers license and work permit are now expired. i have not gone to a lawyer yet with simple fear of her family trying to do something to me. can i sue her for using me, and threatening me. also whats the best way to go about the divorce with my safety in mind?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to consult with a family lawyer regarding your safety and family law rights. You can then possibly withdraw your application

Kyndra L. Mulder

Kyndra L. Mulder


Report the situation to ICE by making an info pass appointment or sending them a letter. Get a family law attorney to assist you or go to the Clerk's Office your self and ask about taking out a restraining order.


My colleague is correct.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


You have to retain a family lawyer to protect your rights.

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with the others

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer