Recently charged with a DUI misdemeanor

Smyrna, GA |

I've recently been charged with a DUI and according to my lawyer, I will likely be convicted of one. I've lost all hope and don't know what to do. I truly feel like my life is over since there is no way for me to get it expunged in the state of GA. What does my future look like career-wise? After doing research and reading endless stories about DUI convictions, it seems to be nearly impossible to find a job. This will possibly leave me homeless in the near future. I am very depressed and scared. I just don't know what to do. Some people tell me it's going to be OK but they've never experienced this and they have jobs. I feel like people are only telling me what I want to hear just for a sense of relief but I need to know that truth. BTW: This is my first offense.

It will certainly hinder your job prospects if you have a career involving driving. Otherwise, however, I have had hundreds of clients in the same shoes as yours that have continued in their careers without interruption and/or have had no problem finding other jobs in the future. Do not despair. If you would like a second opinion regarding your case, please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Thank you for your response and I truly appreciate your advice. However, I definitely would not be able to afford a second lawyer.

Also, do you think taking my case to trial could help? My lawyer charged me one flat fee including trial. I'm not sure trial would make a difference in my case. It could possibly just hurt me in the future being that there will be more court fees.

I almost regret spending money on a lawyer because it's not making a difference. Sorry for ram

I do not know all of the circumstances involving your case, however, I would be happy to review your case with you if you are seek a second opinion. I handle these type of cases all of the time and I am very experienced inches type of matters. Please feel free to give my office a call to scheduled an appointment if you so choose.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
Decatur, Ga. 30033
404-636-6616

The first thing is that your case needs to be investigated. No case is hopeless and there are many technical and legal defenses that can be used even in cases where you were actually impaired. No case is hopeless. If convicted, however, your life is not over. There are a few jobs where you will be disqualified. Otherwise, it will come down to how you handle yourself at interviews and how you differentiate yourself from other candidates for the same job. Your life will not be over for a traffic misdemeanor.

Thanks Mr. Lawson. I am actually working with someone you referred me to.

You should seek a second opinion, and most attorneys are willing to give you a free consultation to let you know your options. As to this being the end of the world, it does not prevent someone from becoming president, so that is not the case. Jobs involving driving will be an issue because you may not be able to have a commercial driver's license or may be to expensive to insure for a while. Also, it may show up on a background check and give pause to some employers. However, If noone who has ever received a DUI was employable, unemployment would be over 30%. Even after a plea or conviction, you should be able to get a permit to drive to and from work. Seeking treatment, which would be a required part of the sentence is something to bring up during job interviews where the DUI is discussed, to show that you have made an effort to clean up your life.

As to trying your case, most qualified DUI lawyers can tell you your chances pretty accurately, and you should listen to your lawyer's explanations for why they think you would loose at trial. The second opinion is a good idea if the lawyer is not explaining it to you fully. If they have given you an explanation based on their opinion and experience with the court where the case is located, you should listen to them. Going to trial sometimes results in additional punishment if the Judge feels that the case was a no brainer and you are wasting their time.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

While a DUI conviction does not help in getting a job, for most jobs it isn't a deal-breaker either. Your life is not over. What is important is to learn from this.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.