Receiving remuneration from non-US company during F1 stay

Santa Clara, CA |
Filed under: F-1 visa for students

I am coming to the US for research program under F1 visa. During the program I will keep my employment dormant back in my home country (Croatia) with minimum salary required under the local law. I may be asked by my employer to provide some consultancy services related to my previous projects. Will that violate F1 terms? Thank you

under "keeping employment dormant" I mean minimum part-time employment with minimum salary

1. Yes, F-1 is a non-working visa.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. You cannot engage in employment in the USA while in F1 visa unless authorized to work. What you have described is an employment.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

3. If you do the 'work' while physically in the US ... it doesn't matter if the company pays you outside of the US ... it is a violation of your F-1 .... talk to your school's foreign student adviser.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.