Receiving remuneration from non-US company during F1 stay

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Clara, CA

I am coming to the US for research program under F1 visa. During the program I will keep my employment dormant back in my home country (Croatia) with minimum salary required under the local law. I may be asked by my employer to provide some consultancy services related to my previous projects. Will that violate F1 terms? Thank you

Additional information

under "keeping employment dormant" I mean minimum part-time employment with minimum salary

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, F-1 is a non-working visa.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot engage in employment in the USA while in F1 visa unless authorized to work. What you have described is an employment.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you do the 'work' while physically in the US ... it doesn't matter if the company pays you outside of the US ... it is a violation of your F-1 .... talk to your school's foreign student adviser.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting... more

Related Topics

F1 student visa

The F-1 is the most common visa for students and exchange visitors attending academic institutions in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,264 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,264 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering