Skip to main content

Receiving a General Discharge under Honorable conditions.

Killeen, TX |

I am receiving a General Discharge under Honorable conditions, due to recommendation from the Army psychiatrist for adjustment disorder. I also injured my back and also have knee chondral degeneration. What are the benefits of General Discharge under Honorable conditions? Do you think I am eligible for GI bill and VA loans? I been in 1.3 years. I am married with fours kids. Will the army transport us back to my home in Minnesota? Can I file for unemployment on General Discharge under Honorable conditions?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I believe a similar question was posted earlier. Google "benefits separation chart" and you will find a chart that lists all benefits for an honorable, general and OTH characterization of service. I can post it when I get to a computer if one of my colleagues does not do so first.

    Given that you only have 1.3 years in, a general discharge will usually take away your GI bill and could affect your ability to get a VA loan.


  2. You need an attorney. Makes no sense to me that thus would be a general discharge... The Command makes the decision nit the doctor..

    This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

  3. You would only get a general discharge if there was some other reason for the separation, either along with or apart from the adjustment disorder. But I highly recommend you go to TDS and try to fight this. The notation "adjustment disorder" will appear on your DD 214 forever, so anytime you look for a job that requires a DD 214 you will have to answer questions. Military docs frequently use this as a "catch all" to expedite people out.

    This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

  4. Your discharge, general under honorable conditions, is for all practical purposes honorable. You don't get the honorable because you fail to complete your contract. You will be entitled to VA and should be entitled to VA. You, and your dependents, should be separated to your home of record. You should have been assigned an Army JAG - please follow up with your appointed counsel. Best wishes!

Military law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics