Receiving a General Discharge under Honorable conditions, what benefits will i receive?

Currently served almost six years active, on my second enlistment. Being discharged for patterns of misconduct. (missed formations on several occasions)

Las Cruces, NM -

Stephen D Aarons

Stephen D Aarons

Military Law Attorney - Santa Fe, NM

You will have access to five major benefit programs. These include Veteran Disability Compensation, Veteran Pension Program, VA Medical care in a VA hospital, Veteran Health Care and GI Bill Education Programs (currently up to $49,000). Also your could convert to honorable discharges if the return to civilian life encourages formation of a stellar citizen. To petition for an upgrade in discharge status, it is necessary to establish the stellar civilian profile before petitioning for the change, which could take several years

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Military Law Attorney - Fairfax, VA

I would only add to Attorney Aaron's excellent response that the vast majority of discharge upgrade requests are disapproved. Odds are that discharge is permanent.

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave

Military Law Attorney - Alexandria, VA

You should be able to get your benefits off of your first enlistment, as Mr. Aarons is indicating.
It is extremely difficult to get an upgrade from general to honorable. In most instances the person has been off active duty for ten years or more, shown themselves to have a "stellar" life post-service, and (in my experience) established that they have long and consistent forms of community service.

John Daniel Hafemann

John Daniel Hafemann

Military Law Attorney - Beaufort, SC

If you receive a General Under Honorable Conditions you will be eligible for several benefits. The most important benefits you will be eligible for include: (1) Payment for Accrued Leave; (2) Transportation to Home; (3) Pre-Separation Counseling; (4) Employment Assistance; (5) VA Health Benefits; (6) Vocational Rehab; and (7) The GI Bill. Of course, receiving an Honorable discharge is preferred because of the doors it will open for you post service. It is possible to have your characterization of service upgraded. If you are interested in changing your characterization of service feel free to give me a call. The initial consult is always free. Good luck.