Received what could be some sort of marketing email saying "public records indicate that you are accused of crime) is this true?

San Leandro, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

i received 2 mails from 2 diff law offices the other one doesnt say they know for sure

Probably not because how could they have your email address? The police don't ask you when you are booked into jail.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

You are saying these purported to come from law firms? That's troubling if it's false. You can check whether the people who claim to be a law firm by googling them. If individual lawyers have put their names to it, you can check to see if they're actual lawyers in CA by checking:

www.calbar.ca.gov

Many attorneys, law firms, and commercial entities purchase mailing lists compiled from public records which list the names and addresses of persons who were recently charged in criminal court, or who recently were convicted. It's a marketing technique that also widely uses public indices of foreclosures and bankruptcies.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.