Received I-485 notice of action. Is that means I can give up the my current status?

Chicago, IL |

Still waiting for my I-485 to approve. And did the fingerprint already. Will it have any affect if I give up my current F-1 status?

If I'm out of status after received I-485 notice of action, will this impact on the decision of issuing a green card?

1. I do not recommend giving up your current status until the I-485 is approved. If for some reason it is denied, you will find yourself in a very bad position.

FREE CONSULTATION ON IMMIGRATION AND DEPORTATION MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of KiKi M. Mosley 208 S. LaSalle St. Suite 1400 Chicago, Illinois 60604 773-501-2039 kiki@kikislaw.com The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question. kiki@kikislaw.com

2. Better to be safe than sorry. Wait until I-485 is approved before you give up your F-1 status.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney
    Testified before U.S. Senate
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. Yes, but that will severely limit your options if the Adjustment of Status is denied.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

4. I agree with my colleagues.

Curtis F. Pierce
    Attorney At Law
    Certified Specialist, Immigration & Nationality Law
    The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
    The Pacific Center
    523 West Sixth Street, Suite 348
    Los Angeles, California
    90014

Tel: 213 327 0044

Fax: 213 327 0066

www.cpvisa.com