Received denial notice of I-539 (from F1 to H4). Please tell what went wrong.

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

Received denial notice of I-539 (from F1 to H4). I was on opt which got expired on June 30 2012. On June 28 2012 I got the I-20 by transferring to school and currently going to school. My wife's H1B has a validity date of 10/01/2012. The USCIS give the following reason of denial.

Your non immigrant status expired on June 30, 2012 plus the 60 day grace period afforded to those in a F- 1 (student) status, your authorized stay ended on August 28 , 20l2. You are requesting to change your status to H-4 dependent of a H-1B non-immigrant worker. Your spouse's has validity dates of 10/01/2012 to 09/30/2015.

Change of status is denied because you have failed to maintain your non-immigrant status prior to the beginning validity date, l0/01/2012, of your spouse's H-1B non-immigrant status.

1. Gen Kimura

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You got denied simply because at the time you applied, you failed to provide documentary proof that you were still in valid F-1'status by providing USCIS your latest I-20 showing your status did not lapse.

3. Christian Schmidt

5

Answered . It appears that you did not include the latest I-20 as proof of your status past OPT.

4. Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

4

Answered . I will agree with my colleague. Please see if you can reopen the case. Or you can just leave and get a stamp on your passport for H4. If you already have a stamp on the passport (a valid H4 visa), you can just leave and come back.
    Good Luck