Received ACD a few times and didn't get in trouble in time period,do I need to state on job applications that I was arrested?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

Got arrested 3 times, Criminal Mischief 5th Degree, received 1 year ACD, didn't get in trouble for a year. was arrested for Graffiti , received 6 month ACD, didn't get in trouble in that time, and last time Possession of a Weapon 5th degree (A Knife) and the case was dropped. Do I need to state on job applications that I was arrested if they were all dismissed?
Thanks

1. Benjamin J Lieberman

6

1

Answered . If the case was dismissed and sealed pursuant to an ACD, state law allows you to answer that you have never been arrested.

2. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

6

1

Answered . Arrests records are usually sealed with ACD after time set by court if you stayed out of trouble.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights. Good Luck.

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.

“LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

--

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado

Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com

www.EstrellaLawyer.com

3. Jack Richard Lebowitz

Pro

5

1

Answered . Usually job applications don't ask whether you've been arrested, because that dosen't mean much ("innocent before proven guilty", and all that). They usually ask whether "have you been convicted of a crime", which technically means a felony or misdemeanor (something punishable by more than 15 days in jail, and not a criminal violation or traffic infraction, which is something with less of a penalty, such as a fine).

Unless you've been convicted of a crime (even if you got probation or a suspended sentence), you can answer "no" to this question. And even if you have to answer "yes", an employer cannot necessarily dismiss your job application under state and federal civil rights laws (see links below)

4. Arkady Bukh

Pro

3

Answered . The ACD records should all be sealed after the time period is up. If the other case was dismissed then you should not have a record.