Received a restitution form from the Dekalb County Solicitor General Office?

Asked over 1 year ago - Decatur, GA

I was in a car accident in July (woman ran stop sign and t-boned me which sent me across a couple lanes of traffic and into a tree). Since then my attorney and I were able to get a $10,000 settlement. I thought that was the end of the process, but today I received a letter from the Dekalb County Solicitor General's office with a restitution form attached asking me to complete it for her "sentencing recommendations" to provide information that would aid the prosecutor against her? I'm confused. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

1. Robert G. Rothstein

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Before she is sentenced the court wants to make sure either she or her insurance co. has made restitution to you by paying all of your damages, (ie:: fixing your car,, paying your medical bills, paying for lost work time, paying for your pain and suffering), and any other damages you sustained. Since you have already settled your case I would assume your settlement covered all of those items. If not, better have a talk with your atty. and ask why didn't he explain that you before accepting a settlement. If your attorney cannot explain the situation to you or if you have further questions, you may contact me at no charge for a consultation. Go to the "Contact" page at www.rgrothsteinlaw.com. Indicate in the comments that your question is intended for Mr. Rothstein. I hope I have answered your question. If so, please indicate "best answer" to Avvo. Thank you.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

6

Answered . Talk to your attorney about this!!

Pro

6

Answered . Yes, it's common. Discuss with your attorney.

4. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

4

Answered . Yes that's common, and your attorney is the person who you should have called. No one here is familiar with your case.

5. Kevin Coluccio

5

Answered . You have an attorney - contact your attorney and discuss.

6. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

5

Answered . You should be discussing this with your attorney.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  7. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the responding attorneys. You should contact your attorney as soon as possible to clarify. Best of luck.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now