Received a letter after N-652 that says " a decision cannot yet be made about your application" What does that mean?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Newport News, VA

My mom just came back from her naturalization interview about a week ago. She passed the interview but the examiner handed her the N-652 and she told me she was going to send me a letter asking for additional documents about my mom's case. We received the letter and it said that my mom needs to submit her tax returns from her home country. The thing is, we moved here 14 years ago and she has never filed for taxes in home country because she was a housewife. she did visit about 2 times since her Green Card but no more than 6 months at a time. What could this mean? Is the examiner asking for something non-existent because she doesn't want to approve her case? please help!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should meet with an attorney and ask him/her to assist with your response.

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only.... more
  2. Jose Antonio Moreno

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Hiring an attorney would be prudent to evaluate how to approach your issue. Good luck!

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It means exactly what it says: "a decision cannot yet be made about your application." What a decision could not be made at the time of the interview, cannot be determined without facts.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Debra Marti Rodriguez


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Perhaps they are just wanting to double check that she did not claim residency in her home country. They are just doing their due diligence. I would consult with an attorney. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,073 answers this week

2,924 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,073 answers this week

2,924 attorneys answering