Received a complaint-summons for having an "open container". how much would a typical fine be and do i have to attend court?

Newark, NJ |
Filed under: Summons and complaint

received a complaint from a college campus police officer.
officer never checked the box stating i had to go to court nor said i had to but wrote TBD under the date of the court appearance.
went to municipal next morning but ticket wasn't in the system yet.

1. What town was this in? open container charges are typically municipal ordinance violations and the fine depends on the particular municipal code. Your question location says Newark - if the ordinance was there the max fine is $500 plus costs. Other towns have higher fines. Hoboken for example has a max fine of $2000. An attorney can investigate the circumstances and mitigate the penalties based on the circumstances.

This information is intended as general information and not legal advice. Contact me at 609-384-3770 for more information.

2. The only State open container statute is a motor vehicle infraction, 39:4-51. If you got that you may be able to just call up and find out the fine and pay it I believe. If it is a municipal ordinance I do not think you can do it without going to court since a schedule of fines is not in the books.