Received a complaint-summons for having an "open container". how much would a typical fine be and do i have to attend court?

received a complaint from a college campus police officer. officer never checked the box stating i had to go to court nor said i had to but wrote TBD under the date of the court appearance. went to municipal next morning but ticket wasn't in the system yet.

Newark, NJ -

Matthew B Lun

Matthew B Lun

Criminal Defense Attorney - Trenton, NJ

What town was this in? open container charges are typically municipal ordinance violations and the fine depends on the particular municipal code. Your question location says Newark - if the ordinance was there the max fine is $500 plus costs. Other towns have higher fines. Hoboken for example has a max fine of $2000. An attorney can investigate the circumstances and mitigate the penalties based on the circumstances.

Sponsored Listing
Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Criminal Defense Attorney - Union, NJ

The only State open container statute is a motor vehicle infraction, 39:4-51. If you got that you may be able to just call up and find out the fine and pay it I believe. If it is a municipal ordinance I do not think you can do it without going to court since a schedule of fines is not in the books.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.