My B2 status will be expiring at the end of the month of April. I am planning to apply for a study permit to Canada while I am here in the U.S. because of convenience. But I am going to need more time to process it all and the school will not start till September so I am asking for another 4 more months of stay here in the U.S. Is it not good that this is my reason for this extension and not for visiting/touring places anymore? Or is it okay and I don't have to worry of denial? Any advice would be very much appreciated!
I do not see how applying to study in Canada would be a reason to extend your stay in the US.
J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.
As long as you intent to leave and state the reason you should be fine.
NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: (866) 456-8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.
4 lawyers agree
I agree with my colleagues.
Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.
3 lawyers agree
You can apply on that basis but I do not know why CIS would grant you on that basis. A tourist visa is meant for that - touring, not "buying time" while a visa application to a third country is pending. I hope it works for you though. Good luck.
Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 email@example.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104
One - you should seek an extension with the assistance of an immigration attorney because if the reason is not well documented, it will likely get denied. Second - there are consequences if you apply for B-2 extension and in the meanwhile the I-94 expires on the current visa you hold. It is best to consult with a competent immigration attorney before you file any application with the USCIS.
This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.
1 lawyer agrees