Reason for the extension of B2 status

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

My B2 status will be expiring at the end of the month of April. I am planning to apply for a study permit to Canada while I am here in the U.S. because of convenience. But I am going to need more time to process it all and the school will not start till September so I am asking for another 4 more months of stay here in the U.S. Is it not good that this is my reason for this extension and not for visiting/touring places anymore? Or is it okay and I don't have to worry of denial? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . As long as you intent to leave and state the reason you should be fine.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . I do not see how applying to study in Canada would be a reason to extend your stay in the US.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

Answered . You can apply on that basis but I do not know why CIS would grant you on that basis. A tourist visa is meant for that - touring, not "buying time" while a visa application to a third country is pending. I hope it works for you though. Good luck.

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

5. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . One - you should seek an extension with the assistance of an immigration attorney because if the reason is not well documented, it will likely get denied. Second - there are consequences if you apply for B-2 extension and in the meanwhile the I-94 expires on the current visa you hold. It is best to consult with a competent immigration attorney before you file any application with the USCIS.