Reapplying while PERM application is still pending

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I submitted my PERM as EB3, awaiting my current date in the next couple of years. I am getting promoted in a couple of months, which would make me eligible for EB2. Can I resubmit my PERM in the new category, even though my first PERM was approved?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Talk about this with the EMPLOYER'S immigration attorney who prepared and filed the PERM. Experience gained whole working for petitioning cannot be used for labor certification purposes! I just don't see how you suddenly qualify for EB-2 just because you got promoted. You simply do not. You either had the necessary on the job experience BEFORE starting to work for this employer or you didn't. To qualify for EB-2 you can use the (I assume 5 years) experience gained with your current employer and have another employer apply for an EB-2 PERM on your behalf. Since PERM is a job offer for the future., you do not need to be working for the petitioning employer at the time of application.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . YOU didn't submit anything .... the employer that probably also 'owns' the H visa did the petitioning ... and paid all the expenses.

With that understood, Mr. Behar is completely correct ... you have given us no reason to believe that you qualified for EB-2 ... BEFORE you were hired and before your EMPLOYER's PERM was approved.

You need to talk to the immigration attorney that did the PERM papers.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

4. Neena Dutta

1

Answered . As you may already know, your employer's filing of a PERM is a future job offer. In answer to your question, "can an employer file a PERM while there is another PERM pending for the same individual?" the answer is yes. As long as the 2nd PERM is for a completely different position, with different requirements. The challenge then becomes, how does the same individual qualify for such different requirements?

Your employer will have to evaluate whether this new position is significantly different, how different the requirements are, and finally, whether or not you qualify for these new requirements. Generally you may not use experience from the same employer, unless the future job offer is 50% different from your current position.

I hope that is helpful for you.