Realtor found tenant and didn't check background. Tenant has prior evictions and was released from jail that month.

Asked about 1 year ago - Massapequa, NY

Realtor found me tenant that was released from jail couple days before signing lease for DV with wife. Stay away order issued when he moved in but 2 weeks later she is now living with him and I was not told. He has past evictions and big problems that I thought would be caught by realtor but all she said is sorry. Now he moved some guy in and cats and the smell is making my child sick and I would like to know is since he moved here because he couldn't be with her does she have any right living in apartment? What if he gets arrested because all they do is fight. They put him in jail and what rights would she have in the apartment? What responsibility does real estate agent have? How do I get the other guy out ? Agent gets paid to do what?

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Consult with a local landlord tenant lawyer to help with you in evicting the tenant. You may want to seek a refund from your broker.

2. Peter J Weinman

Pro

2

Answered . Who paid the Realtor, you or the tenant? Did you have an agreement with the Realtor? What does it say she is supposed to do? Did she breach that agreement (assuming you had one)? Not sure, based on what you've said . If the tenant paid the Realtor, you probably have no privity (realtor is not obligated to you).

What does your lease say about roommates and pets?

If they're paying the rent, not sure if you can get them out based on what you've said so far...