Real estate

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I bought a house a year ago, it is paid off. If I would like to gift it to my son will he need to pay tax on it every year? Or how does it work when I'm gifting a house? What taxes we will need to pay after it? Thanks for the answer.

1. Rex Edward Russo

Pro

1

Answered . Property taxes are due every year by the entity that owns property in Florida. As for taxes on the transfer itself, that depends on the value of the property, and how it states value in the deed of transfer. Since the house is paid off, the county tax assessor will not impute a tax based on the outstanding mortgage, so it should just be a minimum stamp tax. Most such deeds say "for $10.00 and other good and valuable consideration" or "$10.00 and love and affection." In which case the minimum transfer tax is paid.

2. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

Answered . In addition to the taxes that Attorney Russo mentioned you may have to pay federal gift tax on you gift to your son. You should consult your CPA or a tax lawyer before you make this transfer.

3. Andrew Jarrett Sky

Answered . Property taxes are due each year. There may be additional ways to transfer the property with more favorable tax consequences. Since this is a sizable transaction, you should first consult with a Trusts & Estates attorney, to explore your options and determine the best way to do this.