Real Estate - Transfer of Ownership

Asked over 5 years ago - Dallas, TX

I am purchasing a parcel of land from multiple owners in the State of Texas, Dallas County. The current owners have obtained interest in the property either through General Warrenty Deed or Quit Clain Deed.

My question is - do I need to obtain a single Warrenty Deed document which lists all owners and each owner signs before a notery? Or, can a seperate Warrenty Deed document be completed for each owner? Or, will both work?

1. Jeffrey J. Porter

Answered . The best scenario would be for all owners to sign a single Warranty Deed.

2. Bradley Friend Williams

Answered . First, I am not licensed to practice law in Texas, I am licensed to practice law in Minnesota. Second, I want to be clear that no attorney-client relationship is being formed by this response. I am just providing some thoughts on this issue generally on the basis of my experience and the facts described in the question. All of that being said, I would think that either option would work. A title company in Texas should be able to help you with this as well, and I would suggest that you consider obtaining title insurance - that would be another way of making sure that the form of the deeds you obtained were satisfactory (at least for the purpose of a title insurer issuing a title insurance policy, insuring that you own fee title to the parcel). I would also recommend that you have an attorney review the title, survey, and title insurance commitment before you close on the purchase.