Re-entry permit renewal

Asked 4 months ago - Leonia, NJ

I currently obtain a re-entry permit that expires in November 2014. I have currently found a new 1year contract job in Korea. I will not be able to return to the US in November; however I am planning on going to visit my parents this April. Is it possible for me to renew my re-entry permit in April instead of November? I will be returning to the US for good after my 1 year contract, which ends in May 2015. What are my options? Please help! Thank You!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I think your options are limited:
    You may not legally renew any valid Re Entry Permit I-131 while it is still valid in April.
    Also, this I-131 cannot be renewed expediciously as it takes about three months to process,
    Furthermore, one must be present in the United States to clear the scheduled biometrics before its renewal issuance by the Service as such renewal cannot be legally copmpleted by remnaining abroad for any reason.
    PS. Duplicate answers do not result in a different analysis of the same issue.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,491 answers this week

2,934 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,491 answers this week

2,934 attorneys answering