Re entry permit for acquiring residency in another country.

Asked about 1 year ago - Succasunna, NJ

I am a LPR and I am getting a long term residency in Japan just so I could be with my husband while were waiting for his US immigrant visa to be ready (were both non-Japanese). I already filed for a re entry permit, Im also done with the biometrics so Im just waiting for the release of the permit which takes a couple of months to process. I know that your US residency will be considered abandoned if you acquire residency in another country thats why I applied for re entry to prevent that. Should I have the re entry permit on hand before coming back to the US after acquiring residency in Jp? What if Im only staying in Jp as a long term resident for 5 days, should I still need the re entry on hand?

1. Steven Sahag Vosbikian

Pro

3

Answered . You really need to sit down with an attorney before you do anything.

2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

4

Answered . A re-entry permit is designed for LPRs who need to b outside the United States for more than a year. It is effectively prima facie evidence that said individual did not intend to abandon his or her status. It does not provide any protection for individuals found to have abandoned their status by acquiring permanent residence in another country. You would be best advised to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney prior to applying for permanent residence in Japan.

3. Eric M. Mark

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the other answers...long term residence in another country is a bad idea.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . BE CAREFUL. Yes, obtaining permanent residence in Japan goes 'against' you having LPR status in the US.

A re-entry permit will not 'save' you if you apply for permanent residence in Japan.

This does not look like a good idea.

Talk to an immigration lawyer before leaving the US.