Re entry permit for acquiring residency in another country.

Succasunna, NJ |

I am a LPR and I am getting a long term residency in Japan just so I could be with my husband while were waiting for his US immigrant visa to be ready (were both non-Japanese). I already filed for a re entry permit, Im also done with the biometrics so Im just waiting for the release of the permit which takes a couple of months to process. I know that your US residency will be considered abandoned if you acquire residency in another country thats why I applied for re entry to prevent that. Should I have the re entry permit on hand before coming back to the US after acquiring residency in Jp? What if Im only staying in Jp as a long term resident for 5 days, should I still need the re entry on hand?

1. BE CAREFUL. Yes, obtaining permanent residence in Japan goes 'against' you having LPR status in the US.

A re-entry permit will not 'save' you if you apply for permanent residence in Japan.

This does not look like a good idea.

Talk to an immigration lawyer before leaving the US.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. A re-entry permit is designed for LPRs who need to b outside the United States for more than a year. It is effectively prima facie evidence that said individual did not intend to abandon his or her status. It does not provide any protection for individuals found to have abandoned their status by acquiring permanent residence in another country. You would be best advised to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney prior to applying for permanent residence in Japan.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654, wendy@myatorneyusa.com, www.myattorneyusa.com. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

3. You really need to sit down with an attorney before you do anything.

VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: ssvosbikian@voslaw.com - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site: www.voslaw.com

4. I agree with the other answers...long term residence in another country is a bad idea.