Re entry permit for acquiring residency in another country.

Asked over 1 year ago - Succasunna, NJ

I am a LPR and I am getting a long term residency in Japan just so I could be with my husband while were waiting for his US immigrant visa to be ready (were both non-Japanese). I already filed for a re entry permit, Im also done with the biometrics so Im just waiting for the release of the permit which takes a couple of months to process. I know that your US residency will be considered abandoned if you acquire residency in another country thats why I applied for re entry to prevent that. Should I have the re entry permit on hand before coming back to the US after acquiring residency in Jp? What if Im only staying in Jp as a long term resident for 5 days, should I still need the re entry on hand?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Steven Sahag Vosbikian


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You really need to sit down with an attorney before you do anything.

    VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry... more
  2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A re-entry permit is designed for LPRs who need to b outside the United States for more than a year. It is effectively prima facie evidence that said individual did not intend to abandon his or her status. It does not provide any protection for individuals found to have abandoned their status by acquiring permanent residence in another country. You would be best advised to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney prior to applying for permanent residence in Japan.

    Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (... more
  3. Eric M. Mark


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the other answers...long term residence in another country is a bad idea.

  4. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . BE CAREFUL. Yes, obtaining permanent residence in Japan goes 'against' you having LPR status in the US.

    A re-entry permit will not 'save' you if you apply for permanent residence in Japan.

    This does not look like a good idea.

    Talk to an immigration lawyer before leaving the US.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics

Immigrant visas

Immigrant visas can lead to permanent residence in the US, but they require being sponsored by either a family member or employer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,068 answers this week

3,101 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,068 answers this week

3,101 attorneys answering