Re-entry Permit:

Asked over 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

How long does it take to get one? Can I file it then leave the states, come back for fingerprinting leave again and the lawyer can collect and forward it to me overseas?
What is the validity, is it 2 years from the date of filing or from the date of approval?
Thanks in advance.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . About 4 months. You can leave the US and return for the fingerprints. You do not need an attorney to collect it for you. The USCIS will mail it to you overseas.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

3

Answered . The current national processing time for a re-entry permit is about 4 months, but it can take longer depending upon which service center the request filed with and request for evidence. You must be present for biometrics. You should remain the U.S. until you have completed biometrics. Your application can be denied if you depart the U.S. prior to completing biometrics. USCIS recommends the application be filed at least 60 days in advance of the travel. Once biometrics have been completed, you can travel. The re-entry permit can be sent to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. The re-entry permit is typically good for two years after issuance.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

1

Answered . I concur with Attorney Barlow.

4. Cindy Medina

Answered . I also agree with attorney Barlow. You have to remain in the US until you get that approval or else it will be considered an abandonment of your application.