Re-entry permit & missed biometrics

Austin, TX |

I had applied for for a re-entry permit but had to leave the country before receiving the biometrics appointment letter. I will be returning in less than 3 months for good, so I am hoping that I will be fine. I was planning to cancel my application via writing.

*This is the problem - apparently the biometrics appointment was set for 3 days after my departure. And I missed it before I could reschedule or cancel my application in writing. I assume that this will lead to a rejection of my application. Will the fact that I abandoned my re-entry permit application (or that it was rejected) show up at the immigration officer's computer when I return to the US and cause any further problems?

For now, I have instructed my relative back home to reschedule the appointment.

Thank you.

I understand that my rescheduling request will be denied because the date has already passed... but I am guessing that having my relative re-send the letter with the re-schedule request is still better than doing nothing? Also - for the sake of clarification: I am a green card holder.

As long as you have a valid visa you should not have a problem entering the US. But since you left prior to receiving the approval of your I-131, the petition that was the basis for the I-131 a(adjustment of status or change of status) will be considered abandoned and you will have to start that process over again and pay the applicable filing fees again as well.

You are fine.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

You will have no problem upon reentry to the US. Don't worry so much over almost nothing!

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration