Re-entry permit & missed biometrics

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX


I had applied for for a re-entry permit but had to leave the country before receiving the biometrics appointment letter. I will be returning in less than 3 months for good, so I am hoping that I will be fine. I was planning to cancel my application via writing.

*This is the problem - apparently the biometrics appointment was set for 3 days after my departure. And I missed it before I could reschedule or cancel my application in writing. I assume that this will lead to a rejection of my application. Will the fact that I abandoned my re-entry permit application (or that it was rejected) show up at the immigration officer's computer when I return to the US and cause any further problems?

For now, I have instructed my relative back home to reschedule the appointment.

Thank you.

Additional information

I understand that my rescheduling request will be denied because the date has already passed... but I am guessing that having my relative re-send the letter with the re-schedule request is still better than doing nothing?

Also - for the sake of clarification: I am a green card holder.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Cindy Medina

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . As long as you have a valid visa you should not have a problem entering the US. But since you left prior to receiving the approval of your I-131, the petition that was the basis for the I-131 a(adjustment of status or change of status) will be considered abandoned and you will have to start that process over again and pay the applicable filing fees again as well.

  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will have no problem upon reentry to the US. Don't worry so much over almost nothing!

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You are fine.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,477 answers this week

2,594 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,477 answers this week

2,594 attorneys answering