Re-Entry in the US with a Misdemeanor

Asked about 2 years ago - Houston, TX

Hi, I am on L1 Work Visa. My visa is valid until 2014. I was charged with a class B misdemeanor Shoplifting charge. The case is still running in the Harris County court. I need to urgently travel to my home country for a few weeks. I wanted to know if i will face any issue at the port of entry i.e. immigration when entring the United States. Will I be denied entry into Unted States? Please advice.

1. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

2

Answered . An arrest warrant will be issued for you if you leave the country while the case is pending. As such, when you re-enter, you will be arrested and potentially placed into removal proceedings for leaving the country without finishing the case.In short, if you do leave, do so after your case has ended. Even then, it will be difficult and you should seek assistance to be able to reenter without losing your nonimmigrant visa.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com

2. Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Pro

2

Answered . You need to speak to your public defender or criminal attorney about the travel. i agree - you will probably be issued a warrant and that is bad.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . A pending charge isn't a conviction (whatever you DO NOT ENTER A DIVERSION PROGRAM). So, that won't be a problem.

But, as the other attorneys stated ... you need permission from the court to exit the US.

Do not rely completely on information you get on any website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking action.
    Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or www.ailalawyer.com

Talk to your criminal defense attorney and have him/her talk to an immigration attorney.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Franco Capriotti
    1-503-803-0055
    Capriotti International Law
    www.capriotti.com
    franco@capriotti.com
    SKYPE 3-WAY VIDEO AVAILABLE