Re-entry after f-1 visa overstay

Asked 8 months ago - Saint Louis, MO

I came to the U.S. on f-1 visa but went out of status twice due to financial difficulty I was able to reinstate my visa the first time). However, I was able get my degree. I have not left the U.S. since I got my degree in 2011. I have now been accepted for a new program at the university I graduated. I am thinking of going back to my country to obtain a new f-1 visa and then returning to start the new degree program. Will the fact that I overstayed my previous f-1 visa affect my chances of getting a new visa? If I obtain the visa, will I be allowed to re-enter if they notice that I overstayed?

1. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . I think you yourself realize that they would see you as a potential "risk" to provide you with another F1 visa, given the fact that you overstayed and were out of status twice previously. On the other hand, you do appear to have some things in your favor, i.e. you were able to overcome this negative fact and have your visa reinstated, and then finished your degree, and are now already accepted into another degree program. In my opinion, this could go either way for you. You want to do your best to prepare a visa application packet that shows clear ties to your home country that would get you to return once this new degree is completed, with an emphasis on showing that now you do have the financial means at home (hopefully) to not get into financial difficulty abroad again. Your best option would be to work with an immigration attorney to assist you in preparing this packet. Best of luck!

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . Yes, your overstay will be an issue in obtaining any visas to the US.

3. Anu Gupta

Pro

1

Answered . Not sure what your present status is. If you are in valid F1 status, you should be able to get another F1.