Skip to main content

Re applying for student visa(F1)

Lawton, OK |

I came to US almost 6 years ago, My student visa (f1) expired a year ago. Currently I am going to graduate school. I want to go back home and reapply for student visa. My problem was I was caught selling alcohol (misdemenor A)to minor 1 year ago( I didnot have work permit) How much it
going effect on visa processing. Do I need consult with immigration lawyer!!! Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


To answer your last question, yes you should speak to a qualified immigration attorney in your area that you can sit down with and have her review all your documentation. Strangely depending on the laws in your jurisdicition, what will probably cause you the most issues is not so much the misdemeanor selling alcohol to a minor but the working aspect which will most likely come to surface when you reapply. You violated your status in doing so, and the ability of reapplying for the same will be difficult, hence the meeting with a qualified immigraiton attorney in your area.

The statement above is only for general knowledge purposes and at no time intended to be a legal opinion. The individual posting the question and those reading should always obtain the advice of a qualified attorney. No attorney/client relationship is established.



Thank you so much! For your advice!!! My I-20 is still valid and I am on f1 status.. The only think is my visa has expired I want to renew it...

Richard Andrew Constantino Alton

Richard Andrew Constantino Alton


No prob, but do not let me be the end of your journey for answers. You should thank your lucky stars that you were not picked up by ICE for working without authorization. As such you violated your status, and you should see a qualified immigration attorney in your area to find out what that means for your future goals.


You need to have an experienced immigration law who is aware of the criminal laws in OK review your case and provide a legal opinion as to your options. You are correct to be concerned about the effects of this charge (conviction?) as to your immigration options including your ability to gain entry at a port of entry if you leave and attempt to return. Also, the fact you working without proper authorization can also go to moral character as the selling of the alcohol it is a underlying requirement of the criminal charge you received. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


You really need retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and the documents pertaining to the conviction and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer