Skip to main content

Re-Appeal a Divorce Judgement Time Limit

Grapevine, TX |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce appeals

My Divorce has been approved in 2011. My Husband is filing a forgery case saying he dint sign the papers. He has been started threatening me with filing a case of forgery and he will do anything possible to get me into jail once he heard abt me getting married , Even though he has signed right in front of my eyes but his signature seems to look lil bit diff, I am worried that he did this wantedly when he signed the papers

1. Should I be worried and Hire an attorney. Even though it has been 3 years can he file a case isnt there a time limit . I dont want be in a new marriage without this being fixed

2. What Options should I consider doing if he files a case.

Attorney Answers 3


First of all, in virtually every jurisdiction in America, he is past the time enabled for an appeal. Nearly all states have a statute of limitations which only permits the filing of an appeal for 30 days after the issuance of the final decree.
If he can show an actual basis to set aside the decree, such as fraud under civil rule 12 B (6), the burden falls on him to show a legal basis to set aside the decree and the settlement. Under that circumstance, if the decree is set aside, there is no liability – each of you start over. New action--so no damages.
In terms of "fraud" or "forgery", you were witness to the signing of the decree. He may have even signed it in court. In any event, there was probably a notary or someone else who can verify the signature on the record. Awfully hard to prove fraud. And in all fairness, I'm sure that the Court served him with a notice of the final hearing, and either he appeared or he have the opportunity to appear at the hearing. If he appeared, he didn't object. If he didn't appear, he had the right to appear and he decided not to appear.
Of course, this is without looking at the specifics of your case, but normally, Courts tend to enforce their existing agreements, and motions of this nature only prevail in a very small number of cases, in which the moving party has to provide a compelling level of proof. Good luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


There's not a lot you can do about his threats to file suit until he actually sues. In that case, you should talk to one of us local family attorneys about the suit. If he is frequently bothering you then one thing you can consider is filing a harassment report with the Grapevine police. That might scare him into leaving you alone. It will create a paper trail of his harassing behavior which may be useful in proving his forgery action is just intended to harass you. It would also not be a bad idea to keep any emails, social media messages/posts, texts and mail you receive from him about the alleged forgery or any other threats against you.

If you really wanted it addressed now you could have one of us local attorneys send him a cease and desist letter telling him to leave you alone and that should he pursue his forgery allegations it will not turn out well for him. It would be a fairly low cost option but I suspect he would not be scared off by the letter.

It's doubtful that he could find a lawyer willing to pursue his case. It's also doubtful that he could present a legitimate case at this point unless there were serious procedural defects in the divorce case.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Change phone numbers and emails. Ignore him

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics