Re: Naming DOE defendant - Form CIV-105

Asked almost 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

In order to name the DOE1 defendant, it is my understanding one has to submit CIV-105 form and file with the court clerk.

Upon filing, one has to serve the following to the DOE1 defendant along with the filed CIV-105:
1. COPY of the original Complaint.
2. COPY of the original SUMMONS.
3. COPY of the original CIVIL COVER SHEET.
5. COPY of the ADR Package.

Please correct me if this is not true.


Attorney answers (2)

  1. Paul Y. Lee

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Assuming your case is in Los Angeles County, you are correct. (Other counties, such as Orange County, do not require civil cover sheet addendum and statement of location.) If at the time the court conformed the complaint and issued the summons it included any other papers in addition to the ADR package, such as notice of initial status conference, all such additional papers issued by the court should also be served.

    This response is for information purpose only and does not constitute a legal advice. This response does not... more
  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Attorney Lee is correct. You need to serve the Doe defendant will all of the documents you listed.

    Make sure you have a another person who is a non-party, a registered process server, or the sheriff's department effectuate the service of process. As a party, you can't serve any of the defendants with process.

    The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice.... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now