Re: Joint Sponsor for I-864

Fremont, CA |

We have a willing joint sponsor who is also sponsoring his spouse who is out of the country. They asked the opinion of an attorney (not retained) who said that it might jeopardize both our applications and also that because in California, the sponsor is required to make more than is noted on the I-864p guidelines. We just wanted to get a second opinion on that. Based on the current I-864p guidelines, the joint sponsor makes the cut but we did not know that being in California raises the bar a little higher. Thank you.

1. As long as the poverty guidelines are satisfied then you should be OK. Sponsoring more than one immigrant just means that the co-sponsor is required to have a higher income.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: info@moralespllc.com (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

2. As long as you can satisfy the income requirements you will do fine. Sponsoring multiple immigrants simply requires the co-sponsor to have a higher income, not by terribly much though..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. As long as the joint sponsor accounts for all the household members and intending immigrants and satisfy the poverty guideline, living in CA should not matter.

Law Office of Brian H. Lee, San Jose, California, 408.246.6710 This is general information, not legal advice. This does not establish any attorney client relationship.

4. As long as the income of the joint sponsor meets the poverty guideline requirements for income, then you are fine. You must count the joint sponsor's dependents, if they have any and also how many immigrants this joint sponsor will be filing the I-864 for. The income requirement is higher if the joint sponsor is filing for several intending immigrations. However, there is no requirement in California that the income of the joint sponsor be higher. Immigration law is federal law and does not depend on each state for income requirements.

Law Office of Spojmie Nasiri, (925) 520-5195. Please be advised the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice. Please retain an experienced immigration attorney for a more detailed analysis of your immigration legal matter which will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. All answers offered on Avvo.com are of a general nature only, and do not create an attorney-client relationship.