Re: Joint Sponsor for I-864

Asked about 1 year ago - Fremont, CA

We have a willing joint sponsor who is also sponsoring his spouse who is out of the country. They asked the opinion of an attorney (not retained) who said that it might jeopardize both our applications and also that because in California, the sponsor is required to make more than is noted on the I-864p guidelines. We just wanted to get a second opinion on that. Based on the current I-864p guidelines, the joint sponsor makes the cut but we did not know that being in California raises the bar a little higher. Thank you.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

7

2

Answered . As long as you can satisfy the income requirements you will do fine. Sponsoring multiple immigrants simply requires the co-sponsor to have a higher income, not by terribly much though..

2. Brian Haksoon Lee

4

1

Answered . As long as the joint sponsor accounts for all the household members and intending immigrants and satisfy the poverty guideline, living in CA should not matter.

3. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

5

1

Answered . As long as the poverty guidelines are satisfied then you should be OK. Sponsoring more than one immigrant just means that the co-sponsor is required to have a higher income.

4. Spojmie Ahmady Nasiri

Pro

1

1

Answered . As long as the income of the joint sponsor meets the poverty guideline requirements for income, then you are fine. You must count the joint sponsor's dependents, if they have any and also how many immigrants this joint sponsor will be filing the I-864 for. The income requirement is higher if the joint sponsor is filing for several intending immigrations. However, there is no requirement in California that the income of the joint sponsor be higher. Immigration law is federal law and does not depend on each state for income requirements.