Re- file civil case with new defendant name for the same claim

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

If I lost my case in a small claim court and small claim appeal. I also put wrong entities as defendants?. Can I re-file the same case with the right entity name for the same claim? It is a personal injury case. The right entity belongs to previous one defendant, it is a company name which owns a large property.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Laurence Louis Spitters Jr

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . If you lost the case because you sued the wrong party, you can re-file it against the proper defendant. If you lost the case on the merits, you will not win the case if you refile it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,614 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,614 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary