Re "false accusation", who has the burden of proof?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Syosset, NY

If someone sue another person regarding false accusation, is it the plaintiff's burden to proof he didn't do that, or is it the defendant's burden to proof the plaintiff did do that?

1. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

3

Answered . The burden of proof is on the Plaintiff to establish all the elements of their case. That being said, the truth is an absolute defense and accordingly the defendant may very well set out to prove their statement true. Remember, if the statement was made in the form of an opinion, you may have no cause of action at all.

2. Mitchell Aaron Nathanson

Pro

2

Answered . Your question is quite confusing, but the burden is on the plaintiff to prove the tort and the damages.