Re- entered US with valid BCC B1/B2 visa AFTER having gotten married to US Citizen. I-94 expired, about to file for adjustment.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I met my husband while he was doing business in Mexico. I came to visit him using a BBC B1/B2 visa (10 years) several times after we met, one of those times, we decided to get married and did so. Soon after, I went back to Mexico to visit my family and came back into the US using my B1/B2 visa as usual - I was NOT aware that doing so may constitute fraud!!? I simply followed the same procedure to enter the country as I had been doing since I can remember! No intention to "fool" the INS.. simply didn't know better! Our intention was to adjust status once I came back from my trip. Now we are prepping to file I-485 & I-130 but we are being told that INS could deny our case or complicate it due to my re-entry into the US with a B1/B2 visa AFTER I was already married! Help!

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . Not a good idea. Consulate process for CR1

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

3

Answered . As an immediate relative you will be fine to file to adjust from inside the country. You do however have special circumstantances and I strongly suggest you work with an experienced immigration attorney who knows the law regarding dual intent and its application to immediate relatives.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . As you can see ... there is no one, simple, answer to your question.

Technically you 'should' be able to adjust. But, you are correct in being concerned about the most-recent entry having been an unintentional 'misrepresentation' as to your 'intent/purpose' for that particular trip.

Con't file papers w/o the assistance of an attorney.