Re: property line hedge extending over the property line.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sarasota, FL

Property line hedge in front belongs to neighbor . The continuing property line hedge in back belongs to me . Both over the years have extended over the recently surveyed property line . Neighbor likes to trim down their front hedge down to approx . 6 . I prefer to allow hedge to grow considerably higher in back to block out their pool , roof , chimney , etc . = privacy green wall . Neighbor lowered back hedge down to approx . 8 on her side of property line , which based on her recent survey was approx . 1 / 2 width of hedge or about 12 " . My question : can I restrict the trimming , pruning , or lowering of her front hedge that extends over the property line ? Creating a higher hedge on my side to match back hedge .

1. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

Answered . You have the right to trim the branches of the hedge that extend to your side of the property in any manner you want. Your neighbor has the right to trim the hedge branches that extend onto her property. Neither of you has the right to restrict the right of the other to trim the hedge. The aesthetics of the trimming job have no bearing on your legal rights. If you are unsure of your rights or obligations, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . A property owner is free to trim or prune any plants that extend onto her property.

If you want a higher hedge, plant a new hedge that is entirely on your property.