RE. I have a misdemeanor (Petit Larceny). should I need a attorney at my N400 interview?

Fairfax, VA |

I was arrested at airport almost 7 years ago for a arrest warrant, while I was traveling back to USA. immigration officer took my green card and passport in his custody, he told me to come back with court disposition latter, so he can see if I am still eligible to stay in USA or not. original charge was a felony and my lawyer told me to plea guilty is my best option as I don't have proof to show that I am not guilty, so I plea guilty and in result case was amended to misdemeanor (petit larceny). I went to airport with disposition certificate and immigration officer returned my green card and passport. Now I am going for citizenship interview after 7 years. I need to now if this is fine to explain to IO everything by myself or I should take a attorney. thank you in advance for any help

1. YES.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

2. You should have an immigration attorney now, not just at the interview.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

3. Yes. Ideally you obtain an attorney before you file so you understand your eligibility for naturalization and the risks of applying.

Please note that this response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.