Rape sentencing in Washington state

San Francisco, CA |

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2348804/Former-UW-fraternity-president-sentenced-for-drugging-raping-young-woman How is it legally possible that someone who drugged and raped a woman gets only 1 year behind bars in Washington state, especially since he had been charged with a similar assault previously (plea bargain)? I reviewed the sentencing grid for rape in Washington state and it seems the sentence should be a lot higher. The medical evidence in this case is really strong, so there is no doubt that a rape has occurred. Any insight appreciated!! Thanks :-)

1. One would have to look into the case facts quite a bit. Plus, I do not know Washington law on rape. I would post your question for Washington criminal defense attorneys to answer. A California criminal defense attorney's opinions on this may not mean much.

2. My colleague is correct, you need an experienced attorney in Washington State to intelligently answer this, as the laws in each State can vary greatly. Check with the local bar association or here on AVVO, for an experienced practitioner... Jeffrey P. Robinson in Washington State is a superb lawyer.

3. That is a travesty, but the facts may be more different than you think.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.