Skip to main content

Ramifications of moving out of state (WA 2 CA) and leaving 17 yr.old daughter alone, but financially taken care of?

San Marcos, CA |

Some relatives are within 5-30 mi., but mother not in picture. Son doesnt seem to want to let relatives know he's moving to CA. Girl is Senior in HS, drives own car, has had accident b4, smokes pot, goes alone to Seattle to raves, probably drinks. Has put her pic online with nothing but pasties and panties in past. Help me get through to my son what a bad idea this move is. Even if son let's relatives know, what can happen, possibly? Worst case scenario to best, please.

Attorney Answers 1


Your son is legally responsible for his daughter. Sounds like a terrible risk to leave this particular child home alone.
As a grandparent, you could file a guardianship to care for her until she completes High School.
Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Mark as helpful




Hello Ms. Jett, Thank you for your reply. I do understand that the nature of your reply does not mean that this is legal and binding. I would ask one more question. As my son is legally responsible, what would happen if someone reported my son, or told the school counsellor that my granddaughter had no one at home anymore? Or, say, if something terrible would happen and the police got involved with my granddaughter, or the house burned down, or the neighbors called the welfare dept., what would happen to my son and my granddaughter? Please help me to help my granddaughter and son to make a wise decision. Thank you in advance.

Nadine Marie Jett

Nadine Marie Jett


I believe a case would be opened up by Child Protective Services and your son would be charged with neglect, at a minimum.



Thank you very much. I emailed that to my son. He will have to make his own decision, but it will be a more informed one now. I live thousands of miles away and could only give him my advice. I hope he see how serious it truly is now. He really thought that since he had insurance that he would be covered for any problems. I guess I could see a lot more potential problems than he could. Thanks again.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics