Racism in the workplace in the 21 century. offensive email sent to me by white worker and racial statements .

Jamestown, NY |

I Willie F . Davis has been the only Black Probation Officer in Chautauqua County . I started in 1974 . My civil service title is probation officer / minority group specialist . in 12 / 11 I was subjected to offensive email depicting a black female and child visiting her male in a jail setting and the Black male in a orange jumpsuit and the statement listed below Merry lamas from the Johnson family . The suffering of Black people is not vision of Merry Christmas . In 2 / 12 a co - worker female stated while making coffee that " this coffee is as black as you . she said it again . My office is 35 feet from the coffee area , mean while just minutes before the co - worker was talking with the director of Probation . I felt their was no need for me to response because it was clearly heard .

1. You should schedule an appointment with an experienced employment attorney immediately. The statute of limitations on these matters can be very short but the consult should cost you nothing, so explore your options and speak with multiple attorneys.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

2. I agree with Mr. White in that you may have a statute of limitations issue depending on where you file the claim. I would suggest that you contact a NELA attorney to assist you.

Herbert Tan, Esq.
    E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
    Website: www.tanlaws.com

The National Newark Building
    744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    (973) 735-2681 (W)
    (973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

3. I agree..consult with an Employment lawyer.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.

4. Employment discrimination is not established as an actionable claim unless it was an act by the employer or unless it was a pervasive and chronic situation in the workplace that was reported to the employer which the employer failed or refused to investigate and attempt to correct. Based only on what you have written here,neither of these definitions seems to be the case of your experience.