R-1 for a Church Music Director.

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I work as a Music Director in an established church which is willing to sponsor the R-1 visa/status for me. What are the chances for the approval if I don't have a degree in religion? I do have a Master's degree in music though. I need to change my status from F-1. Thank you!

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . There are a lot of requirements that the church must fulfill before they can sponsor you for an R visa.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . How is music direct a position with religious function, vocation or occupation?

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

Answered . Your chance are pretty good if its a real religious institution and a real job offer.

The R-1 Religious Worker category underwent a lot of scrutiny in the last few years due to prevalent fraud. Be forewarned and seek to retain a reputable, experienced immigration attorney. There are a few good ones in NY and you can easily see who is who here on Avvo.

4. Malathi Benjamin

1

Answered . You don't need a theological degree for an R-1 status but there are many other requirements that you, the job and the church must meet. One of the many requirements is that the position must be religious work. The petition should emphasize the religious nature of music in a church context. I tend to quote the psalms which are filled with references to music as worship. All the best.

Malathi Benjamin PLC
    www.malathibenjamin.com
    (626) 744 1750