Skip to main content

Quiet Enjoyment

Hoboken, NJ |

I live in an apartment located next to a bar. I hear very little of the music played and if the back door is shut, then I hear almost nothing (so this is not a problem). However, there is a courtyard behind the bar that is adjacent to my unit's walls. I didn't see anyone in the courtyard when I first came and didn't ask about the noise level. I think it belongs to the bar, but I rent from a management company who might own that commercial property as well. My problem starts at night (from 6pm - 2am/ 7 days a week), I can hear a lot of laughing and talking as though the people were standing right next to me; This disrupts a lot of my sleep/work/life style.

Is it my right to have the landlords install sound proofing for ? Or should I see what the bar can do on their part?

Attorney Answers 1


Your LL is not required to put in soundproofing. Quiet enjoyment actually means that you are the holder of the property for the period specified in the lease. Your LL is not responsible for the noise in adjacent property whether or not the LL owns it or the management company controls it. I suggest you talk to the bar. While Hoboken does enforce quality of life issues such as you describe this is on private property.

Mark as helpful

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics