Questions related to status change, marital union proof and affidavit of support for sponsoring my spouse

Asked about 1 year ago - Hayward, CA

Hi, I just became a citizen through naturalization and would like to sponsor my spouse (married here in US in January, 2013) working on H1-B work visa currently living with me. I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to have a passport or have changed my status on my social security record before applying I-130 and I-485 for my spouse?

2. We are on lease with my spouse being the only lease holder, but we have home insurance and car insurance having both of us listed. And bank statements / phone bills on same address. Is this enough proof of marital union or I need to be on the lease or have a joint bank account?

3. I filed my taxes online, is it ok to have only copy of the tax return without the signature as proof for I-864 or is a transcript needed?


Attorney answers (2)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . 1. You need to prove you are a US citizen.
    2. That will be up to the adjudicating officer to determine.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Kyndra L. Mulder


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Your NATZ certificate is sufficiant.

    File all joint documents you have and photos.

    As long as you have the W-2 and proof that the return was filed electronically you will be fine. Otherwise order a transcript of your tax filing fron the IRS

    Junk maill addressed to both of you and each of you seperately is sufficient to establish that you live at the same address.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,950 answers this week

3,152 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,950 answers this week

3,152 attorneys answering