Questions on changing visa from L1/L2 to F1

Asked over 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

I am currently holding a L1 visa and my wife is holding a L2 visa, both visa being valid for the next 9 months. My wife has got admitted to a master program starting this summer and she wants to change to F1 because I may loose my L1 status soon. In addition, we are planning to go to China recently for a 2-week vacation. 1) If she goes to the US Consular in China to apply for a F1 visa but gets declined, is her L2 visa still valid? Can she enter the U.S. with her L2 visa? 2) If she comes back to the U.S. with L2 visa, and submit I-539 (change of status) immediately after entry, will her I-539 be declined due to "presumed fraudulent"? 3) If I submit my I-539 immediately after entering US with L1 visa, am I subject to "presumed fraudulent"? Thank you very much.

1. J Charles Ferrari

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . 1. If not cancelled, yes.
    2. It could be.
    3. Possibly

A visa stamp cannot be used for the purpose of entering the US to change status.

2. Alena Shautsova

Pro

Answered . I agree. Your question is too compound. First, are you from China? If not, you can't go to the embassy there. I would think that the best way to deal with it for our wife, is to change her status before the vacation...

One or more answers have been taken down.