Questions on travel to Canada and back to USA in H1-B status. Please see details section for background and questions.

Asked 9 months ago - San Jose, CA

BACKGROUND: My H1-B visa on my passport has expired but have a valid H1B approval notice that expires mid-May 2014. My company will start my H1-B extension soon (extension beyond the 6 year term as my labor application for green card has been filed). I need to go to Canada for a couple of weeks around end of April 2014.

QUESTIONS:I have the following questions:
1. Is it OK for me to travel to Canada and back with my expired H1-B visa and valid H1-B approval notice?
2. Does my travel to Canada have any effect on my H1-B extension application or my PERM labor application?
3. Any other document you think I should take with me to re-enter USA safely.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Your question is way to detailed for the online forum like AVVO. Talk to an immigration attorney who is handling the case for the employer. In general, to return from a 30 day or shorter trip in Canada or Mexico a nonimmigrant with a valid I-94 who maintains the status in the USA, one only need that I-94 and valid foreign passport.

2. Alison Yew

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . Question 1 relates to automatic visa re-validation process and based on the facts you provided you should be able to do that if the trip is fewer than 30 days.
    Question 2 is unclear if you mean whether the travel will affect a pending extension petition or if the extension petition is submitted after your return from Canada. If the latter I don't see any facts in your question that would adversely affect the extension petition.
    Question 3 -- this is a very open ended question; of course there are the basic travel documents and documents that verify you are still working for the H-1B employer. Beyond that I am not sure what you mean by "re-enter USA safely."
    Finally you should discuss any particular specifics in your situation with your own attorney or your employer's attorney so that you do not jeopardize your employer's H-1B extension petition.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . Do not abuse Avvo that is designated for a general legal opinion as your case required a detailed legal consultation with your counsel of record.