Questions on travel to Canada and back to USA in H1-B status. Please see details section for background and questions.

Asked 9 months ago - San Jose, CA

BACKGROUND: My H1-B visa on my passport has expired but have a valid H1B approval notice that expires mid-May 2014. My company will start my H1-B extension soon (extension beyond the 6 year term as my labor application for green card has been filed). I need to go to Canada for a couple of weeks around end of April 2014.

QUESTIONS:I have the following questions:
1. Is it OK for me to travel to Canada and back with my expired H1-B visa and valid H1-B approval notice?
2. Does my travel to Canada have any effect on my H1-B extension application or my PERM labor application?
3. Any other document you think I should take with me to re-enter USA safely.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question is way to detailed for the online forum like AVVO. Talk to an immigration attorney who is handling the case for the employer. In general, to return from a 30 day or shorter trip in Canada or Mexico a nonimmigrant with a valid I-94 who maintains the status in the USA, one only need that I-94 and valid foreign passport.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Alison Yew


    Contributor Level 12
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Question 1 relates to automatic visa re-validation process and based on the facts you provided you should be able to do that if the trip is fewer than 30 days.
    Question 2 is unclear if you mean whether the travel will affect a pending extension petition or if the extension petition is submitted after your return from Canada. If the latter I don't see any facts in your question that would adversely affect the extension petition.
    Question 3 -- this is a very open ended question; of course there are the basic travel documents and documents that verify you are still working for the H-1B employer. Beyond that I am not sure what you mean by "re-enter USA safely."
    Finally you should discuss any particular specifics in your situation with your own attorney or your employer's attorney so that you do not jeopardize your employer's H-1B extension petition.

  3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Do not abuse Avvo that is designated for a general legal opinion as your case required a detailed legal consultation with your counsel of record.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,016 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,016 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering