Questions about what happens after the 2 year separation period in PA

Pittsburgh, PA |
Filed under: Divorce

I filed for divorce from my soon-to-be-ex back in January, 2009. She has purposely dragged her feet on doing anything up to this point as she is admittedly trying to get as much money from me as possible, so she refused to try any sort of settlement. I am under the understanding that I can persue the divorce myself in January, as the 2 year wait will be over. My question is regarding the amount of time this will take once I push it myself? We will still have Equitable distribution to deal with, as well as a joint mortgage that she will need to refinance, however, what is the general time frame for this all to happen? In other words, am I going to be dealing with another 2 years of this, or will it be wrapped up within a few months?

It is hard to say when it will be done. In Allegheny County they will not issue a divorce decree until the equitable distribution is completed. Your inventory will be due to the court to mmake the process begin. She will also have to file one before you can get a date before a judge. Its not quite as simple as filing out papers. I suggest that you consult with any attorney to discuss this and get the ball rolling. Please feel free to contact me if you need assistance.

Recommended articles about Divorce