Questions about US Citizenship disqualifications. Am I disqualified with this issue?

Asked 11 months ago - Houston, TX

I have been detained NOT arrested in 2006 because a woman claimed that I assaulted her by touching her rear because of an argument at work. I did not do it. Of course that will be her words against mine. She called the police and they said that they have to detain me and they put me in cuffs and in the back of the police car. After like 45 minutes to 1 hour, they released me and they asked me if I want to fight the case in court, do a community service, or pay money. I said i'd fight it in court and they gave me a court date. And when I went to court on that day, the people at the court told me that I don't have any charges filed against me. but when I saw a copy of my record for a job background check, I have a record of battery there. Is that a disqualification?

I'm a green card holder.

1. Shiv Kumar Kapoor

Answered . You need to gather all police and court records you can get and see an immigration attorney. It's important to know whether you were arrested or convicted and what the charge actually was.

2. Pablo Husayn Nossa

Answered . If it was in Harris county, consult with an immigration lawyer in the area who is able to pull up your record and advise you accordingly.

3. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Answered . First, you need to find out what the court records say. Order a certified copy of the Final Disposition or Judgement entered. This should be reviewed by an immigration attorney to determine what impact it may have on your naturalization, and possibly by a criminal defense attorney to understand your record, if any . Your job background check should also be reviewed. It may simply state that you were accused of, not charged, of battery. Get a lawyer.