Skip to main content

Questions about N-400

Brooklyn, NY |

Hi I have a few questions in regards to filling out N-400 form
1. Me and my wife are married twice to each other because she wanted to change her last name to mine and it was faster and easier by getting married once again. My question is in Part 8 it asks if we were ever married before. The answer is yes (to each other) do I need to fill everything out? What date of marriage do I enter? It has a question how the marriage ended. what do I specify?
2. It asks for my wife's family name. That is her maiden name or the name she took after she married me?
3. Part 10 question 33. Please explain I do not understand it. Before I received my legal statues I was in the US illegally. Do I need to mark yes?
4. Part 7. I went on a cruise to Bermuda for a week. How to I calculate the days out of us?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Really it was faster to get divorced and then re-married? I think you may not be telling us everything here. I strongly suggest a consultation with an experienced attorney to discuss your case.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.



you do not need to get a divorce in order to remarry the same person in NY. It was a lot cheaper and it took 1 day to change her last name



the process of changing your last name in NY is long and very expensive.


It sounds like you need the help of an experienced immigration attorney to help you file your N-400 since you do not understand the instructions. These little questions on small details are the things that you don't need to worry about if you find an immigration attorney. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer