Questions about filing Inheritance Taxes

My Dad passed away in 2001 & my Mom in 2004. About a year ago my Dad was a class action member in a pension plan lawsuit which was court approved. I have the legal documentation (Short Certificate & Letters of Administration naming me as administrator of the estate. I have already gotten a new EIN for my Dad. The following are my questions: When I received the settlement chk-they had already taken out the State & Fed Taxes. I still have to pay the Inheritance Tax. Do I pay the Inheritance Tax on the amount of the check or before the State & Fed Taxes were taken. Also, is there a special form I have to fill out or the REV-1500 (Pennsylvania). I have no money for a lawyer. Is this something I can do myself? Is there someone who can help me? Thank you for your time & help. Evelyn S.

Langhorne, PA -

Steven M Zelinger

Steven M Zelinger

Probate Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

You really need an attorney or at least a qualified accountant who knows how to deal with inheritance tax returns. It appears that also an income tax return needs to be prepared for the lawsuit year. You could do it yourself, but you probably will run into issues that will cost more later to fix.

Sponsored Listing
Eugene Arthur Steger Jr.

Eugene Arthur Steger Jr.

Tax Lawyer - Chadds Ford, PA

Yes REV form 1500 is correct form. Because the proceed are entitled Pension funds they are still subject to PA Inheritancre tax. Depending on the amount and your financial ability there may be Pro Bono groups that can assist you

Related Advice

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.