Questions about court type (PTR)

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I have a criminal court date in three weeks. On the docket, the type is "PTR," What does that stand for and what happens during a court of that type. Will I be sent to jail?

1. David N. Smith

1

Answered . In Travis County, PTR means a Pre-trial setting, but it can be uncontested (no witnesses -- just a conference between attorneys) or contested (one or more witnesses and the lawyers argue pre-trial motions). Your attorney can tell you which it is. If you can pass a urinalysis test (unlikely that you will be asked, but not impossible), and you have not violated the terms of your release or probation or parole, and you don't have any new case(s), your chances of going to jail are very low. Discuss it with your lawyer.

2. Diana Elizabeth Buss

Pro

Answered . It stands for Pre-trial setting. This means your attorney will either pick up discovery from the state's file, discuss your case with the prosecutor and/or get an offer on your case. You not be sent to jail at this setting for this charge unless there is a warrant out for your arrest.