Questioning ethical behavior of a lawyer.

Hanover, PA |
Filed under: Professional ethics

My ex-husband takes me to court often re: our daughters. We have 3 children--19 (so this doesn't apply) 17, and 15. Our son visits his dad on weekends. My ex-husband attempts to get visitation with our daughter. She refuses to see him. The judge always rules no physical custody. I represent myself. I email my ex-husband's lawyer to give her information about doctor appointments, etc. I forward emails from my ex that are harassing. We used to have a PFA but now there is a No Contact/Trespass order. She writes me horrible emails--saying I am the cause of all the family problems, I am a parent alienator, her client is a victim and I am doing great harm to our daughter. It is getting really depressing. Can lawyers email their clients ex-spouses these things? Is this ethical?

Thank you. It is just that I replied to one of the lawyer's emails and asked her to stop writing me because I felt like she was trying to bully me. She immediately responded that comment is a prime example of me making accusatory statements, etc. She was bullying me because my ex was in contempt of something in the order and she did not want me to pursue it. I had to block her from my email to get it to stop!

Lawyers can ethically communicate directly with unrepresented persons. There is nothing per se unethical about strong statements of position and argument by counsel in support of such positions. Of course, there may be an issue raised by specific words or statements -- no one here can opine on what we haven't seen.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Professional ethics topics