Questioning defendant when he hasn't answered the complaint

Asked 12 months ago - Tallahassee, FL

Is there a legal way to make a defendant answer questions even though he has never responded to the complaint? I know that a default judgment is the next step after a defendant has failed to answer but is there a legal way to get him to respond? I find his information more valuable than a default judgment actually. Can I subpoena him, get the cops involved? Please let me know.

1. Aaron James Irving

Pro

4

Answered . If you can default, by all means do so. If defaulted, then the next step would be a final judgement, wherein you win.

www.integritylawjax.com

2. Keith G Langer

3

Answered . The default judgment is usually the desirable outcome.

However, IF you propounded interrogatories as well as filed the complaint, you can file a Motion to Compel Answers.

This sounds as if you may wish to consider retaining counsel.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Frances Parker Quarles

1

Answered . Getting a default judgment is one way of getting a defendant to respond. The defendant will have to go to court and get it set aside. Otherwise, you could begin executing on the judgment, such as filing a lien, garnishing wages. etc. If you did file discovery with the summons and complaint, then a Motion to Compel is the next step. No cops. You may want to consult with an attorney in your area on how to proceed.