Question related with I-94. No expiration date. What i need to write i-130 and I-485 .

Duluth, MN |

I am international student and in my i-94 form there is no expiration date. They just stamp departure date and D/S. Now what I need to write in i-130 and I-485 form in duration of stay section? I am going to school and i have valid I-20.

D/s is what you write (duration of status) since the F visa doesn't have an expiration date and is valid for a long as the student is complying with its terms.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

Thank you Veronica Tunitsky. It means I need to write D/S instead of my i-20 date or just None in i-130 and I-485 form??

I agree with Ms. Tunitsky. There may also be other benefits related to those who have entered the U.S. with duration of status. For more information, contact an experienced immigration attorney.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Why are you saying to contact attorney. I don’t see any mistake being D/S in my i-94. I just open the question to know views of people.....nothing is wrong in my case

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

The concern is that you may miss out on other forms of relief, such as advanced parole; or your status may be jeopardized if SEVIS terminated your status, you have too much unlawful presence and depart the U. S. on advanced parole (the ten year bar). Usuallly, but not always, F-1 students are notified by a University if their status was terminated. Sometimes, former students do not realize what is going on. This may create confusion during adjudication and delay a decision, among other things that you may have accidentally done. This is unlikely, but possible. Travel during adjustment may be risky. Good luck.

I already indicated that I am going to school and have Valid I-30 in my question. So how it may possible that my SEVIS terminated? Thank you for providing some extra useful information.

I agree with Attorney Tunitsky.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics